Life 2 The Limit

ONE MONTH. 10 PEOPLE. A DESERTED ISLAND. IT'S THE ULTIMATE TEST OF SURVIVAL - BUT THIS TIME, THERE'S NOT A FILM CREW IN SIGHT.

www.life2thelimit.com

What do you think it will take?

It's easy to see how physically fit we are but very difficult to know how mentally fit we are. In fact, most of us don't know how we will react to certain situations until we are in them. Although there may be great physical efforts, survival is above all a mental exercise. What do you hold on to when you are sleep deprived, hungry, sunburnt, sick, uncomfortable and irritated all at the same time? What pushes you through? What in you, gives you the will to survive?

What do you think it will take?

Postby Huenu » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:52 pm

The problem will not be lack of food, it won't be the mosquitoes, it won't be the harsh sun, it won't be the lack of energy, it won't be that we may be sick, it won't be that we may not get along, it won't be that we'll be missing everything from back home, it won't be that we'll miss our friends and families...

The problem will be that we'll experience all those things AT THE SAME TIME.

Imagine you wake up on day 17 after sleeping terribly for just a couple of hours, you are full of itchy bites, you have zero energy, you are extremely hungry and you are not getting along with these people that you only met a couple of weeks ago. The novelty has worn off and the once stunning beach is looking more like your worst nightmare.

It's not physical fitness that will get you through this as much as mental fitness. And how do you judge that?

WHAT DO YOU THINK, ON THAT MORNING OF DAY 17, IS GOING TO GET YOU THROUGH THE DAY? WHAT MUST YOU THINK, BELIEVE OR DO IN THAT SITUATION? WHAT INSIDE OF YOU WILL PUSH THROUGH ANOTHER DAY? WHY NOT JUST LEAVE?

Words on paper can't quite sum up the reality. But be realistic and picture the situation... It will be interesting to see what people have to say - go ahead... write your thoughts :)
I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom.
Huenu

Re: What do you think it will take?

Postby Damon » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:47 pm

I think each person should remind themselves daily of why they took on this challenge and review what they've learned as a person from the previous days experience(s) and from the group. This daily dose of reminding yourself of your motivations will help anchor you to the driving force behind your choice ie: you won't be waking up on day 17 being disconnected from those motivations and have to take the long and possibly elusive 'inner path' to day 1's drive/determination.

Sharing your thoughts will be greatly important too. Everyone will be cut off from their natural support systems (friends, family, etc) however everyone will have the opportunity to create new ones with one another.

One last thing: Take the time to smile! :) This simple act prompts the release of serotonin in the brain - important in regulating mood, appetite and sleep to name a few plus it's contagious.... :D

"A smile is a curve that sets everything straight"
~Phyllis Diller
Damon

Postby Huenu » Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:19 am

Chatting to my friend and many times mt bike world champion Christoph Sauser... he mentioned a very crucial point. He said... as long as you have a goal, that will get you through. And he's right. Simple yet effective. As long as you have a strong enough goal in which you believe, keep remind yourself of it and you'll keep going. Do anything aimlessly and you'll quit quickly.
I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom.
Huenu

Postby Kristen Kaethler » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:46 am

I agree that a goal is a requirement for mental survival. It will be easy to give up out of frustration, lack of motivation, exhaustion, etc....
But I think with a goal it will be easier to put things in perspective on a daily basis. If we can set attainable goals throughout the 30 days, we have something to strive for on each day to carry us through to the end. I also think self-talk and meditation will be helpful. When you're in a position where you're feeling negative, or confrontational if you can talk yourself into a more positive mind frame and release the negative energy it will help create a better place not just for yourself, but for the other 9 people you're sharing the island and experience with.
A friend of mine recommended a book on the psychology of survival, called Deep Survival. I am definitely going to read it before I go.
the website address is: http://www.deepsurvival.com/.
Kristen Kaethler

Postby JonoM » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:50 am

Is anyone else worried about going dilly? A month is a long time and once we get into a routine of living on the island how are we going to keep our brains active?? There are only so many card games, stone throwing competition we can handle....I suppose we will all be writing our best selling novels but still this has been playing on my mind.
JonoM

Postby joestarke » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:01 pm

on the going dilly question...yes certainly a concern.
though i reckon if we all keep an eye on one another we can avoid it...though.. going a bit dilly for a bit can be quite an interesting trip, so perhaps we should enjoy it if it happens :D
joestarke

Postby lduthie » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:46 am

well, there will be endless time for mindfulness mediation.

i was also thinking that it would be a great opportunity to spend a ton of time looking and watching. I know it's not for everyone, but i find it fascinating to spend time looking, and i mean reeeeeeallly looking at bugs and animals and birds and things. I am thinking about bringing a hand lens since they are so small, and everything looks so cool when you see it up close.
lduthie

Postby Kristen Kaethler » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:34 am

Hey all, I thought I would post a little snippet from the fantastic book I read earlier. Something to chew on....They are the 12 points that were distilled from years of research, reading, compilation on the "uniformity" of actions,thoughts and behaviours of true survivor personalities.

1) Perceive (look and see) & Believe
2) Stay Calm (use humour and fear to focus)
3) Think/Analyze/Plan (set-up small, manageable tasks)
4) Take Correct & Decisive Action (be bold and cautious while carrying out tasks)
5) Celebrate your Successes (take completing tasks)
6) Count your Blessings (be grateful you're alive)
7) Play (sing, play mind games, recite poetry, count anything, do mathematical problems in your head).....this one will help with the "going a little dilly" :)
8) See the Beauty (try and remember, it's a vision quest).
9) Believe that you will Succeed (develop a deep conviction that you'll succeed and/or live)
10) Surrender (let go of your fear and put away the pain)
11) Do Whatever is Necessary (be determined, have the will and the skill)
12) Never Give Up (let nothing break your spirit)

Hope we can all take at least one or two points with us for our challenge.
Kristen Kaethler

Return to Survival Mentality